Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm Lucky I'm in Love with my Best Friend


I just got back from the Caribbean a little while ago where I had been on a study abroad, and it is so good to be back. I hadn't seen my mister for 68 days. I don't know how I survived. It was so hard to be apart, especially since we had only been engaged for a month before we had to separate for school.

We started talking about marriage early on--as early as 2 weeks into our relationship. I'm embarrassed to say it was very Mormon of us. In fact, after six months of dating, Michael asked me to marry him on the hill behind his house in Walla Walla. We had climbed up to the top of this hill early in the morning to watch the sunrise. He presented me with a white gold chain, and we have worn matching chains every since.

I used to make fun of the Mormons around us who would get engaged so quickly, but now I understood how they felt! The love I had for Michael was just so strong, and I wanted to be with him forever. Despite that young love, we couldn't get married right away. We had some growing up to do, and our relationship needed time to develop. So instead of making our engagement official, we decided we would wait to declare ourselves engaged until I had proposed to Michael. That way we could both have the experience of proposing.

Like any relationship, we hit rough spots and even separated for a month. But by the time 2009 came around, our relationship was going strong. Michael had moved into my apartment because one of my other roommates had been evicted for "homosexual behavior." (oh the irony!)

In April we got our own place--just the two of us. Instantly I felt our relationship deepen. We were having little dinner parties and double dates. We'd have dinner with Chris and Becky and play Settlers of Catan. Watching the two of them and their daughter interact with each other made me realize how much I wanted to be married and to have a family.

Some nights it was just Michael and me at home playing gin rummy and sipping Michael's fabulous cocktails. Those were some of the best nights of my life. One morning in early May I was taking a shower and thinking about the night before when I realized that this was how I wanted to spend the rest of my life. I liked being a couple. I loved Michael as my better half. If I could just play cards with him every night, my life would feel complete. And if I already knew what I wanted, why should I wait to make it happen? So without any plans or anything to give to Michael, I got out of the shower and asked him to marry me right away. He said yes, and we've been making plans every since.

I can't tell you how happy I am to be marrying my best friend on June 27, 2010, after what will be 2 years and 7 months of dating!

1 comment:

  1. So...I just finally started reading your blog. I am so excited for you guys on your plans for your life together! Becky and I are pleased to have been an example of a happy family...which kind of makes me laugh. I hope you guys experience the same joy that we have had being married.

    I have no doubt you will.

    (this is Chris by the way--I don't think you sent my an invite to the blog; my email is chrisbissett@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete